Cases in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Cases in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases challenges students to develop a working knowledge of the variety of microorganisms that cause infections in humans. This valuable, interactive text will help them better understand the clinical importance of the basic science concepts presented in medical microbiology or infectious disease courses.
The cases are presented as "unknowns" and represent actual case presentations of patients the authors have encountered. Each case is accompanied by several questions to test knowledge in four broad areas including the organism's characteristics and laboratory diagnosis; pathogenesis and clinical characteristics of the infection; epidemiology; and prevention and, in some cases, drug resistance and treatment.
This new fourth edition includes:
- an entirely new section, "Advanced Cases," which includes newly recognized disease agents as well as highly complex cases where the interaction of the immune system and human pathogens can be more closely examined
- a revised "Primer on the Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases" section that reflects the increasing importance of molecular-based assays
- Forty-two new cases that explore the myriad advances in the study of infectious disease in the past decade
- Thirty-two updated cases that reflect the current state of the art as it relates to the organism causing the infection
This textbook also include specific tools to assist students in solving the cases, including a table of normal values, glossary of medical terms, and figures illustrating microscopic organism morphology, laboratory tests, and clinical symptoms. Cases in Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases is a proven resource for preparing for Part I of the National Board of Medical Examiners Exam and an excellent reference for infectious disease rotations.
- : 9781555818685
- : ASM Press
- : ASM Press
- : 1.47418
- : August 2014
- : 3.3 Centimeters X 17.27 Centimeters X 25.4 Centimeters
- : books
- : Peter H. Gilligan; Daniel S. Shapiro; Melissa B. Miller
- : Paperback
- : English
- : 616.9/041
- : 604